Schooling Visa: Studying in Canada as a Minor

Contrary to common belief, a study permit in Canada isn’t exclusive to young adults. Minors, aged 6-18, are also eligible to apply if they meet specific criteria. A minor is someone reliant on adult support for living and studying, with different provinces setting varying criteria for legal adulthood.

Provinces or territories – Age of Maturity:

  • Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan: 18
  • British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Yukon: 19

When Can a Minor Apply for a Study Visa?

Not every minor entering Canada can apply for a study permit. They must meet one of two conditions:

  • Have a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident relative willing to be their legal custodian.
  • Be accompanied by their parents/legal guardian.

To appoint a custodian in Canada, a form must be signed by the custodian, notarized, and approved by parents/legal guardians.

Before Entry to Canada:

  • Apply for the study permit before arrival.
  • Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI).
  • Confirm DLI listing in the Covid-19 readiness plan.

Minors Already in Canada:

Canada offers advantages to minors already in the country, exempting them from a study permit if they:

  • Are in kindergarten regardless of parents’ status.
  • Want to attend pre-school, primary, or secondary school with a parent permitted to work or study in Canada or are refugees/refugee claimants.
  • Came to Canada for a course/program of studies of six months or less.
  • Are studying a course/program lasting six months or less.

Overseas Application:

The exemption for minor children’s study permits (as per subsection 30(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act – IRPA) specifically applies to minors already present in Canada.

Visa Office Processing:

Visa offices handling temporary residence applications for minor children seeking education in Canada from overseas should categorise them as students, not visitors. Even if accompanied by a parent authorised to work or study in Canada, a study permit is typically required, unless exempted under section R188.

Port of Entry Application (POE):

Upon entering Canada for studies, minor children should have applied and secured a letter of introduction from a visa office. Alternatively, they should be eligible to request a study permit upon entry according to section R214.

If these steps haven’t been completed, POEs, interpreted as “in Canada” under subsection A30(2), may allow entry as a temporary resident in the visitor class for the child if all prerequisites are met (e.g., accompanying parent’s work or study permission) and if the child isn’t otherwise ineligible. Proper documentation via a visitor record is essential. As the child no longer falls under the minor category, they must apply for a study permit to continue their studies.

This information highlights the necessity for appropriate permits or authorization for minors entering Canada for education, ensuring compliance with immigration regulations.

Documentation and Study Permit Needs:

  • Canadian: Passport, citizenship card, or birth certificate – No study permit required.
  • Permanent resident: Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence, or Permanent Resident Card – No study permit required.
  • Foreign nationals accompanied by a parent in the visitor class: Stamp on the child’s passport or on parent’s passport with the child listed – Study permit required.
  • Alone/with a parent who is a temporary resident with a study/work permit: Child’s passport or listed on parent’s passport, possible visitor record – No study permit required.
  • Refugee claimant, accompanied or not by a parent: Determination of Eligibility letter, child’s passport, or listed on parent’s passport – No study permit required.
  • In Canada without status: Child’s passport, listed on parent’s passport, available travel/identity documents – No study permit required.

Additional Information:

Canadian Education Consultants can assist in obtaining study permits for minor students. Beaconhouse International College admissions are currently open for minors, accepting applications from Pakistan.

Beaconhouse International College Admissions:

Open now for minors; applications accepted from Pakistan. Secure your admission to Beaconhouse International College.

Studying in Canada

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top